Thread: Recaps
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 05:01 AM   #12
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I have seen readers say "I hate recaps, it is an insult to my intelligence" or something along those lines in various places.
Yep, people can be strange. (The fact that they can't simply ignore what they don't need/want to read says something in itself. It's like those people that insist on watching violent or explicit movies and then complaining about them later. Yes, I often read a recap even when I don't need it, but complain about it? What a strange idea.)

In my mind it all comes down to whether you can cover what is needed elegantly within the main text, if you can then that is obviously the best way to go. If, however, covering what you need becomes an ugly intrusion into opening the next book (and I've seen some very ugly examples), then a recap (IMO) is the less offensive option because the reader can choose to skip over it if they don't need it. (And when the author brings out their first quartet , they can just drop all those neatly isolated redundant pages.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote