View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #6
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post
Hi, Jeffrey. As a reader, I've had so many frustrating experiences with trying to read maps, etc., I'm thrilled to see an author put serious thought into this.

calibre will convert just fine, but I think it crops images to fit a screen, so I'd watch for that - maybe someone can give us the details of when and how that's controlled.

I would prefer the books I purchase not to have the images cropped; that way, I can load up the full size version to see in K4PC.

As for the rest, I can only tell you that the only way I've found to make a lot of images - such as maps and family trees - readable on small devices is to split them.

Orientation... what Kovid said, although, if you can split them, try to keep it in portrait, so they're not neck-breaking to read on K4PC, for example.

The number one thing to do, though, is make sure the images are available online.
Thanks. I'm glad you said that about putting the map online, because the thought hadn't occurred to me. I suppose it would be good to put a link to the map in the book, even.

As for splitting the map...hm. Yes, it would make it easier to read, but wouldn't it be hard to hold the two images together in your mind?

Kovid, can you address the comment about whether the image will be cropped by Calibre? And whether there are any settings I should be aware of? (I've never put any sort of image into my ebooks, except for the cover, which I let Calibre do for me from a separate file.)
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote