View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #26
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1, and iPhone XS Max
Dan89, forgive my previous questions. I was delirious. I now understand your situation, so here goes....

First....the "send to kindle" function doesn't work for computer versions of the Kindle app. You can only "send" books to Kindle devices, phones and tablets.

But even if it did work, your books still wouldn't sync between your Kindle and your computer because they're mobi files. Whispersync doesn't support mobi.

If your goal is to be able to read them during the day from a computer, and then at night, pick up where you left off, using your Kindle, then here's your solution...

Instead of loading them onto your Kindle using Calibre, you will have to email them to your device, putting the word convert in the subject line of the email. Amazon will automatically convert them to whispersync compatible files, which will be automatically delivered to your Kindle (takes about 10 or 15 minutes). As a result, your books will now reside in the cloud.

THEN, on your computer, using the K4PC app, you'll have to access your archives (the cloud) and click on them to download there as well.

Unfortunately, emailing them to the Kindle device will create duplicates on your device. But it's not that big of an issue, since it's only two clicks to delete a book. You might want to delete the old ones first, so you don't confuse them.

If it sounds too daunting, then rather than tackling them all in one day, maybe you could transition slowly, doing 5 or 10 books per night.

It might seem like a pain in the butt, but it'll be worth it in the long run to have your books sync for you. Plus, it could be really handy to have them permanently in the cloud. That way you'll be able to access them anytime, anywhere, without needing a computer.

PS: before emailing them, you might want to take a peek at the guidelines. There's a file limit to the number of files that can be attached to a single email, plus an overall size limit of the entire email.

I hope that helped

Last edited by Vmurph; 10-04-2013 at 12:59 AM. Reason: spelling error
Vmurph is offline   Reply With Quote