View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
nice catch...but I find it interesting that a company would, in essence, manufacture it's own knock-off's. And package them in the exact same box as the current product. I many other than the folks who frequent this site would even be aware there are different versions. Because when you look at the iRex site the box seems to be the same to me. Look here:

https://www.irexshop.com/index.php?cPath=22_27

At least that page does say 2nd edition. But if the box is the same people will never think to question anything beyond that...and it is not sufficient to say people need to question the product...why? The mfg did nothing to show the consumer the item might not be the same thing as shown on the site.

If a device is made to different spec's for a client then there really should be a simple way for the consumer to, at a glance, identify the item is different.

And it is actually off-putting for the company talking head to spew the "...we recommend you buy only from our official..." yadaydayada...diatribe. When in this instance the company created the potential for a consumer to get hosed. It sounds more like price fixing and protectionism. Business's have product they remainder or that gets into the 3rd party channels all the time. Sony tired this warranty BS with their electronics because Costco was selling Sony products at 30-40% below what the so-called "authorized" Sony retailer/re-sellers could...that did not turn out well for Sony. Compaq tried something similar early on (around 1988ish) and neither did it go well for them.

Had they made some simple change to the box itself for the 2nd editions (or those made to a custom spec) there would not be any confusion. But this is like Rolex actually making a few Fauxlex's because a certain customer wanted them...even though they look the same.

Now what would have happened if this seller was slick and decided to simply remove the devices from their boxes, list them one at a time and open them low...btw, $528 is not some "too good to be true" price, nor is $300 nor is $400. I sell well over $100k/yr on eBay and open $2000 items at $9.99 w/o a reserve...I can do so because the demand for what I sell is large so why pay eBay more in fees if I know full well I will get my price. In fact the research shows items opened LOW w/o reserve actually sell from 5%-20% higher then items opening near the actual value of the item. The numbers are even better id you examine the sell through rates for opening low vs. any losses for the occasional item that under performs. So again that comment from the iRex talking head is arrogant and thoughtless. They created the potential themselves.

Anyway, did anyone email the seller to ask? It would be interesting to see...and if iRex is really on the ball they can actually report the seller via the VERO program and have the auctions pulled an the seller prevented from listing them again. And that is what really needs done here is the seller is indeed offering a product that differs in anything but the warranty from what is currently shown on the iRex site. I mean if they really give a flip about their potential customers and brand's reputation. Cripes I think they make the best overall device out there...but if they are going to do stuff like knock-off their own products it makes one want to reconsider them as an option.

Anyway, here is the link for the VeRO program if anyone wants to pass it along to iRex:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/vero-rights-owner.html

But one thing the right of first sale doctrine in the US protects the seller too if the item is genuine. Meaning once I buy a product the mfg has zero control over what is done with that product nor can they block reselling of that product.

Last edited by brecklundin; 02-08-2008 at 04:01 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote