View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #69
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I'm just the messenger here. I didn't test it. How Chip got to the "Ausstattung" results: I don't know but I'm sure that the calculation method that gave that result is the same for all tested devices. Maybe you or other readers should contact Chip about it?

To be clear: I just posted it here only for one reason: to provide a ereader test with some hard numbers in it so anyone who is interested in buying an ereader can make a personal comparison based on aspects they find most important for themselves.
There are so many ereaders on the market today (at least in Europe) and what it makes fairly complicated to choose a reader that suits your personal needs.
This test at least has some data on battery life and other aspects. Which could aid to steer away from the "I like", "I don't like", "It's fine" or "It's not fine" comments. But reading just this thread: it didn't work.

If you don't like or agree with the outcomes: don't blame me or blame Chip for testing a device using their own test benchmarks or methods. Then the best thing you could do is ignore the test results completely.

You could or even should wonder or question why Kobo build the Aura the way the build it. Why did they use a particular component (e.g a battery with a relatively short battery life) instead of a slightly more powerful one?
Don't get me wrong Kobo or any other manufacturer makes and has to make such decisions. That is fine. Just as choices also mean that trade offs have to be made. But choices also mean some common sense. If the average reader lasts for about 30,000 page turns now, should you release a devices that only lasts 14,000? All Kobo readers (and most of the other brands) do (see test results) except the Aura (about 14,000) and the Touch (23,000). But the Touch is an old ereader so it should be no surprise it falls behind. But the Aura is one of the newest readers available on the market today.
If Kobo simply compared the Auras battery life (14,000) with their other newer readers (about 30,000) and latest models of the competition (30,000 and up) the could figure out beforehand that 14,000 page turns is at the very low end of the spectrum. Kobo figured it was "enough". But what is "enough"? If you compare it to the competion it clearly isn't.

I was probably just as surprised as you when I learned that the Kobo Aura final rank was so low.

Maybe other readers can provide test reviews that also show similar hard data.
That's quite a long post for someone who's "just the messenger". If I didn't know better I'd think you had some kind of agenda. As for "enough", that is whatever the user defines it as, not something that needs to be equivalent to the competition. If I buy a car that goes 140km/h is that suddenly "not enough" because McLaren has a car that does 280? Perhaps I'm not ready to trade away the heated seats that I get in my 140km/h car.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote