Thread: JBPatch
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #687
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezh View Post
In principle, I agree with you, but I have one dictionary, for example, which, despite being excellent, has a very poor inflections index. The result is that most inflected forms aren't found in this dictionary when I select them in books or periodicals, although the uninflected form is almost invariably contained in the dictionary.

For example, the dictionary contains the term 'logiciel', but if I highlight 'logiciels', no match is returned.

If I had access to the dictionary (specifically, the search box at the top of the screen once the dictionary is open), I could delete the 's' manually, hit the return key and easily access the term 'logiciel' contained in the dictionary.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying I would like access to dictionaries in other languages, just *all* the dictionaries on my device for the specific language I'm reading in.
Yes, I see your point (and I also saw kindleloh's point). But I have to find a balance between providing actually useful functionality and swamping the user with 25 useless dictionaries pages ("useless" in the sense of *not* actually providing a useful definition for the word, because they'd be in a different language, or because they wouldn't provide a definition for the search term). Combining your request and kindlelohs, this would essentially lead to a situation where I would be throwing *all* the dictionaries at you, even if only one contained a meaningful definition. And that would drive the dictionary lookup page ad absurdum, and would not be user-friendly anymore.

Just like the hyphenation patch can only work correctly if the book states its language correctly, the dictionaries patch can only work correctly if it is backed by good quality dictionaries. As the saying goes... "garbage in, garbage out". - or, to state it differently, in this particular case: if you want a high quality user experience, you need good quality data. This is in no way meant to offend either of you, but I want to keep these things usable for everyone, and the problem is in both cases caused solely by "bad" dictionaries.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote