View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #109
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
There are still too many people in this thread who are assuming that the only/main reason to pirate a book is the cost.

This may be me being all Ableism 101, but it doesn't matter to some readers if they can get Harry Potter for free at the library IF an ebook version is the only thing they can comfortably read / carry around.

A lot of the first adopters for e-Readers were people who cannot use or carry typical paper books. Carpal tunnel, bad back, cerebral palsy, arthritis, tendinitis - these are all very real conditions wherein it is much easier to use ebooks than paperbooks.

Exclaiming, "But you can get Harry Potter at the library!" misses those points.

For myself, I own all the Harry Potter books and I've yet to read past the first couple, because they are too dang heavy for me to lug around and all my reading is done on the go. (I haven't pirated the ebooks because I frankly just don't care about finishing the series until Rowling wants to let me buy her books in the format I can comfortably read. In the meantime, I'm sending lots of shiny moneys to other authors.)

My point has nothing to do with piracy being legal / illegal, but rather that this "debate" is centering around a lot of misinformation about WHY some people MIGHT pirate. Saying, "oh, people are too lazy to go to the library" - even tongue-in-cheek, misses a lot of realities that some of us live with daily.

Also?

Quote:
Vg'f yvxr gelvat gb znxr gur nobegvba qrongr nobhg "jung nobhg gur tveyf jub'f qnqql'f encrq gurz" vafgrnq bs "vf nobegvba zheqre be abg".
(ROT13 above, if you don't recognize it.)

Hi. Welcome to my ignore list. This is really inappropriate and triggering for a freaking ebook discussion.

Last edited by anamardoll; 05-25-2011 at 01:42 PM.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote