View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
coinín
dust bunny
coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650, BlackBerry PlayBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
I have never heard of a full black screen - I don't think it can be normal. I would suggest getting an RMA number and then sending it back; it's probably way too late to return it to a store, but still within the one year warranty.
Actually, I saw one do that once in the store after a few kids had been playing with it.
Still have no idea what had been done to it, and it was really alarming to look at...
Figuring it was worth a try but not expecting it to work, I popped a paperclip in the back reset button and held down the power button for a few seconds, and it booted back to life just like new. Weirdest thing ever, but the unit's performed as normal ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
Ya I agree with pholy, I hope you kept the receipt, but if you didn't you're probably still in the stores system so you can probably return it and maybe thats good because you'll get to upgrade to the KO2
It's very unlikely that zero's purchase is still in the store's system. Most stores don't save information on what people purchase, most people would consider that a violation of privacy. I work in two different retail environments, and we get people asking us to look up their receipts all the time because they want to return something under warranty and have lost the receipts. There's a huge number of people who have this idea that we can just look up people's purchases by punching in their credit card/debit/member numbers. I won't deny that there are businesses out there that do store that kind of info, but most don't because people would (quite rightly) feel uncomfortable about it for a wide variety of reasons.

RMA is the way to go if it doesn't reboot normally after a reset, especially if there's no receipt. No store would be obligated to return it without proof of purchase- especially now that the Kobo readers are available in several different retail chains. They might do it as a gesture of goodwill, but they don't have to. I'd just save myself the hassle and deal with Kobo straight away, because they do have to fix it up under warranty.
coinín is offline   Reply With Quote