Thread: Question Marks
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by goose61282 View Post
I'm using sigil to import an html document and convert to epub for my prs-505. When I view the resulting epub in calibre it looks fine. However, on the reader there are question marks randomly placed throughout the book. Even in the middle of words. Am I doing something wrong here?
What do you mean by randomly? Are some characters replaced with questions marks, or are the question marks just inserted between them?

The former would be a problem with Adobe Digital Editions (a version of which is on the Reader) not having the required fonts to display these characters. For instance, characters like "šđžćč" will be displayed as "?????" in ADE if you didn't include the fonts for these characters in your epub. Both Calibre and Sigil perform font substitution from other fonts on the computer if the current font can't display some of these characters.

If it's the latter, then I think it's because your original file has soft hyphens. I believe ADE doesn't handle those. So just remove these soft hyphens from your file and the question marks will go away.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote