View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #2855
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanga View Post
I have a raspberry pi, no idea about mkfs (make file system?) though. Can I get some more details on what to do with that, as a wipe with that sounds like the easiest solution. I presume vfat is the file system, but surely I need to point mkfs at the kindle in some way?

Thanks so much!
You have to be able to access the storage media to create a file system on it.
From your Windows connection, you can only see the file system, not the storage media that holds it.

You don't have to worry about running mkfs to create a new vfat -
If the start-up scripting discovers that /mnt/us (same thing as the root you see from Windows) is damaged or missing, it will recreate it for you.

I have no idea what you are trying to do - just deleting the files visible from Windows should be enough.

But if you must recreate the file system . . .
Before you remove usbnet, connect to the Kindle and write 16 * 512 bytes of zero to the start of the media partition holding the vfat system (that will destroy the file system) and let the reboot scripting "fix" it for you.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote