View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #7
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Kcmay,

Got to agree with you there. I think it was a cheap lesson for us - we did look at the 'preview' but where I think things went wrong is that we viewed it on the PC with a wide-screen, so the text would have naturally formatted 'fine' by virtue of the fact that it had ample horizontal space so as to not wrap. Put it on the K3 and all of a sudden that 72 character width is no longer available.

I'm not sure what everyone else uses for their manuscript development; we use LyX on Ubuntu - takes away almost all of the formatting issues. Of course, what we use isn't for everyone and not everyone likes the odd style it uses (you don't see the formatted output until you generate it - until then it looks rather bland). None the less, we've been very happy with our choice, as we were able to use the same file to produce our drafts to the editors (double spaced, single sided, broad margins), print-ready PDF to the publisher, and now eBook output without having to change the actual content or "formatting".

Paul.... who hopes that he hasn't mangled the formatting somewhere now that he's made a big soap-box stand.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote