View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #13
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
not true at all. itunes runs just fine on a PC and will transfer music/tv/movies/books/applications just fine over USB. wireless is not needed..
But my point was that people who do not already have an iPhone don't realize that, and are more likely to go for the Kindles because of the (perceived) hassle factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
but you neglect to mention the extras you get for that extra monthly fee. a more feature rich internet experience than you will get on your kindle. the ability to chat, use skype, internet enabled games, etc. it is not the same experience as internet access on the kindle.
I didn't mention the extras because I was addressing the matter from the point of view of people who are buying a reading device. I don't think that the extras will mean all that much to people who are mainly looking to read, particularly when cost is taken into account.

I think that most people who read more than casually are text oriented people. So I think that the argument for iPad extras exists, in the sense that there is a good deal of the internet which is just text. Blogs, magazines, that sort of thing. Amazon is going to move the Kindle in the direction of those things, but the iPad will do them better, plus the iPad will offer much more in book and bookstore selection. So I see the iPad as a more expansive reading environment than the Kindle is.

But for text oriented people, I don't think the other extras are much of a big deal. They are nice, sometimes, perhaps.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote