View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #27
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
Now, at an advanced level you wouldn't need this if your character had a unique way of speaking, which brings me to another bugbear of mine. Characters who all sound the same.
Yes, I've been known to wrestle with that one! Though, in my defense, there's often not so much difference in many characters' backgrounds, upbringing, etc, that would come out in their dialogue except in a rare use of words. (Arthur C. Clarke's work had the same bugaboo. Aren't I in good company? )

I also try to avoid having them sound like caricatures, like the characters in the Doc Savage novels I grew up reading... perhaps I've become too sensitized by "By Yiminy!" dialogue to risk getting too close to it myself.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote