Thread: Sony or Nook?
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #52
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha_fawn View Post
I think you're underestimating the interest people outside the US have in wireless. There are plenty of people who have paid extra for or are currently trying to get the 950 in other countries, and I doubt they're all going to so much trouble just for an extra inch. Less interested on average I agree (and there are plenty of people in the US who aren't interested, too), but not entirely uninterested. And keep in mind that Amazon is very much selling the Kindle (and its wireless capabilities) to an international market. It is not only a US store. Oh, and Kobo is Canadian-based, not American.
As far as I am concerned the man on the moon might run Kobo, it is not of the least interest for me if they are American or Canadian. Fact is, the store is English, Amazon Kindle books are English and I am not.

There are about 50 countries in Europe with about 100 different languages. Even if someone has a 950 here and likes to have wireless it will only be wireless not 3G. That means whoever wants to buy something with his 950 has either stay near a wifi hotspot or at home or has to fork out for a phone SIM-card and pay the roaming fees himself...

Amazons doing good outside the US is mostly due to the UK site and the Kindles sold there (rumors have it more than 3 million last Christmas). As they are able to read the books sold by Amazon it is no wonder.

Look at companies such as Pocketbook or Bookeen. Pocketbook is the 3rd biggest company in Europe and they started doing wifi last year with the PB302 und followed it up with their new models this year. Both of the new models can be bought with and without wifi as opposed to Kindle with wifi or with wifi and 3G.

PB is the biggest seller in former Russia, Sony the 2nd. I don't know where that leaves Kindles but I do guess far behind Cybook and Bookeen.

Last year there were Opus's and Sonys in every bookshop in Berlin. You get iRivers here in shops, also.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote