View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I see more of a parallel to the move from LPs to CDs, but that could just be my age!! There is a certain hard core fanaticism and nostaligia associated with LPs in the audiophile communtity, just as there is in print books in a reading community. Those who express those views typically do so by bashing the new kid on the block, not by pointing out the virtues of the older format, and the older formats do have some virtues. A cd will never sound as good as a new LP played back on really good equipment, just as an ebook will never feel like a new leather bound edition of your favorite book. But progress is progress, for the most part the average person finds the CD inperceptible in sound quality to the new LP and doesn't really care about holding a paper book, but there are those that do.
True.

However, there is no need for it to be a complete break. LPs are still being made & sold...granted the DJs are doing most of the buying, but still the format survives. It will be the same when it comes to books. Unless there is some dire need to stop making paper, there will always be books.

[Edited to Add] I would go so far as to say, that if we choose to go paperless in other areas (bills, pamphlets, etc), we can pretty much assure that we will always be able produce books.

Last edited by Nyssa; 06-15-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote