Thread: Broken
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 03:30 AM   #4
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffoest View Post
I dropped my Sony PRS-500 while waiting in line at the Apple store in July for an iPhone. It seemed to work just fine although the metal was dinged up a bit. I hadn't used it for awhile since and when I went to recharge it I could not get a broken image from the screen. I tried to reset it endlessly and charged it up fully. Let it charge down fully and still nothing. It still seems to work - but the useful text is in the background of this foreground "junk".

I'm not going to even bother sending it in to Sony to get it fixed - their support page makes it seem like the process is both expensive and un-user friendly. I think I'm pretty much done with Sony products.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience similar.

Seems as though I have a brick. A shame really - Sony had some potential revenue stream from me via their eConnect book store. Now I'll probably go the route of Amazon's Kindle but I'll probably still wait for more stable products that use this technology.

At least my iPhone still works! lol

Cheers,
Jeff
You have broken a sony device by dropping it! maybe you should at least ring sony or send it to sony to see how much to fix it? just because you 'guess' it will be expensive and a hassle doesnt mean it will be, and because of that your done with sony products!.

It sounds like you have damaged the case and screen, neither of which will be repairable so in effect you need a new unit, so why not just buy a new one?
Not sure how it works in US but in the UK our home insurance covers accidental damage of personal items, so in your case i would send my insurance company the reader and pay the Excess of £50 and then get the money from them to buy a replacemnt.

You then say your going to wait for more stable products?! huh? what stable enough that they are indestructible? You dropped it! its not like it just stopped working.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote