View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #17
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
I disagree with the page turn patent because I'm fairly sure that page turn implementations existed before iBooks. Didn't Stanza predate Apple's software? Didn't something else come before either of those?
See above; it's a *design* patent, not a functional patent.
They aren't patenting the *idea* of a page turn animation; they are patenting the look of *their* particular animation. Infringement only comes if somebody else's page turn animation looks too much like theirs. Perfectly valid. They are entitled to protect their investment and discourage others from copying their products. So I approve of the patent and the philosophy since it'll encourage others to actually think differently and not copy *them*. (Microsoft, on the other hand has never made too much of a stink when their products are copies a wee bit too closely. Diversity of opinion, there.)

And I don't dislike Apple products; I've purchased Apple monitors and laser printers in the past. Distant past, true, but still...

I do, however, dislike skeuomorphism as a philosophy. I see page turn animations as I see training wheels on a motorcycle.

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-17-2012 at 10:19 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote