View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #13
helf
Zealot
helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe, Entourage eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
Are you kidding me? :-)
If you see this picture on a nice, standard pc monitor, you'll have a good idea of how distinct these fonts can look like when you read with it. But don't zoom out to a 5,3" dimension on your pc display, because it hasn't got the high pixel density of these smartphones.
No, I'm not kidding. A normal PC monitor (in my case, a bog standard LCD) uses a Red/Green/Blue subpixel grouping in a horizontal stripe for each "pixel" of the display. These are rectangular with a perpendicular orientation. The pentile display on the note 1 has shared subpixels in basically a diamond pattern with no distinct groupings.

Here is a photo of the note 1 and 2 screens compared:

A standard LCD pixel pattern looks like this:

Now, pentile arrangements on devices such as the original galaxy, the galaxy note 2, the galaxy s3, and others, are similar to the subpixel arrangement on standard CRT displays. Even on CRTs, unless you have one that handle ungodly high resolutions, had fuzziness to them. It's just par for the course on the display type. It is impossible for pentile screens to make a straight line and antialiasing and subpixel dithering can only get you so far. Pentile displays, at least on samoleds, tend to artifact too. And by that, I mean they tend to have a subpixel, usually red, show up where it shouldnt on edges and in other areas of a shape (such as a letter). Again, most people have no problem with this and never even notice it. It just drives *me* insane.

Anyways, I wasnt trying to start a flame war or anything Sorry about that.
helf is offline   Reply With Quote