View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 02:23 AM   #5
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
If I may modify the original question a bit: I create all books myself (right from buying the paper book to scan it). Once done, I store them in HTML format. For the purpose of reading them on my Sony Reader, I wrote a series of utilities (which mostly use Calibre to do the dirty job) to convert them. It makes little difference for me whether I convert to LRF or to EPUB.

In this situation, and with today's hardware (I use PRS-505) - does EPUB have any distinct advantage over LRF?

I mean, I chose LRF months ago because the reader rendered it a lot faster than PDF or RTF, because it had perfect support for UTF-8 (I use Eastern European charset) etc. Should I switch to EPUB now, what kind of advantages can I expect from it?
One of the 3 standards in ePub, OPS is basically XHTML+CSS. An ePub file would be much closer to what you already store.
Files in ePub MUST be in UTF-8 actually, and you can embed the font directly inside the file too.

The main advantage is probably the fact that you won't really have to do a lot of format shifting in the upcoming years if you start using ePub rather than LRF. You can also use far more advanced layouts and formatting in ePub thanks to the CSS 2.0 support.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote