View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #74
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamekke View Post
P.S. Forgot to mention that although I bought my Kindle from the U.S. Amazon Kindle store, I'm in Canada (if that's relevant).
It's surprisingly relevant.

Although the 50MB limit is stated at Amazon ONLY on the page for those living outside the U.S., a blogger friend tells me that a knowledgeable Amazon person told him that this 50MB limit is supposed to kick in only when you leave your country when traveling for work or vacation, etc. It shouldn't come into play when you're in your home countr.

That, though, is not necessarily true, as on the 3G web browsing issue, Amazon reps at all levels were not agreeing with one another on the brouhaha over whether or not the Kindle Touch was eligible for free 3G web browsing and they finally clarified it one day with an official Kindle Team announcement (which probably followed a lot of discusison, as Kindle owners had email clarifications from various Amazon reps paid to give answers, who said with certainty what their answers were but these contradicted other reps' views and alarmingly so.

In your case, you MIGHT have bought the Kindle in the U.S. and then kept your 'residence' records as the U.S. If that's so, then you'd be eligible to get books that U.S. residents are offered.

But the downside (if my blogger friend's contact at Amazon is correct) is that you'd be seen as 'traveling' or 'out of your home country' if you never changed your home country with Amazon.

If so, then it's a choice between having access to more new books or coming up against that limit.

That doesn't speak to Amazon's putting the limit statement ONLY in the non-US resident page though.

If you're comfortable with letting us know either way, it'll help pin down when the new limit rule comes into play.

Thanks!

- Andrys
http://kindleworld.blogspot.com
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote