View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #923
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
4. ... Even better, if possible, differentiate between the actions for "This is me wanting to turn a page" and "This is me wanting to select something".
By accident, I found that the KT responds to a stylised page-turning motion (dragging a digit fairly quickly right-to-left moves the page forward, and vice-versa). So , another one to knock off the list!

So, after a couple of days, we are left with:

1. Very important: no forced updates to the firmware. Let me know that there is an upgrade available, then let me decide when/whether to do it.

2. Add an option to get rid of the carousel, or at least allow a list instead of the really ugly book-cover thing. Better yet, show a list/selection of recently used Shelves.

3. If the carousel must remain, some ability to scroll through it would be good.

4. Configuration options for the sensitivity of the screen. This would hopefully reduce the number of missed/multiple page turns.

5. On a similar theme, add more configurations for page-turning sectors. One I would like is left- and right-sides do the same thing (either page "back" or "forward", depending on setting), and centre column to do the opposite setting. I would rarely need the page back setting if I could set it to turn forward at either side of the screen. Also, support for horizontal sectors.

6. Add some way to order annotations logically. At the moment, they seem to be added to the list randomly.

7. I'm not overly concerned by the lack of a power meter permanently on the screen as long as there is a pop-up warning of low battery (the Jetbook has this at about 100 page turns left). So, one or the other, please - permanent power meter or pop-up.

8. A setting to turn the screen landscape. Again, the Jetbook has this, and it is very useful.

9. Fix the erratic behaviour of the drag-selectors. The chances of getting a clean selection on mine are very low - the selection leaps all over the page like a drunken grasshopper! (Apparently this may already fixed in the Japanese 2.1.1 release.)

10. Nice, but not vital, would be a notepad function. This would presumably not take a lot of work, since it would be a variation of the Annotations function. Perhaps it could replace the rather pointless sketchbook (apologies to anyone who enjoys that function).

11. At some point in the future, it would be nice to make all this user-configurable, perhaps via the Kobo Desktop.

12. Fix the slow page turns (Again, from reading another thread, this might have been dealt with in 2.1.1)

13. Keep improving the way the Shelves work, along the lines of the suggestions recently made by others. They have the potential to be a really powerful tool for managing large numbers of books, especially if some form of cross-referencing and ordering are adopted.

Last edited by Peakcrew; 08-27-2012 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Removed sentence
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote