View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #28
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I’m reminded of a story that our Frequency Manager used to tell. It seems that different countries have different frequency allocations. An example; the same frequency that RC model airplanes in the US use is used by the Japanese military for another purpose. So when American servicemen are stationed in Japan, they’re not supposed to use their model airplanes.

It seems that one uninformed soldier sent his gear to his new assignment in Okinawa, and decided to go virtual flying one weekend. He was happily flying around the base when the Japanese fired up their military transmitter at high power. The military signal jammed his controls, and he lost control of his model; it just flew away until it ran out of fuel.

As luck would have it, the plane flew off the base and crashed into the windshield of a Japanese civilian man, who was so startled that he lost control of his car, crashed and was seriously injured.

Wallah! Instant international incident! I’m not sure what happened to the soldier, but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t good.

Moral of the story: What you don’t know can hurt you and others. I don’t know what spurious EM emissions can do to a planes avionics, but it’s not really much of a burden to just turn them off when people who are much smarter than me say I should.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote