View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #366
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexconfuse View Post
I understand that E-ink does not change very rapidly but have you seen the 6 inch B&N touch? It's 6 inches but that thing changes very fast, even faster than the Kindle DX. I understand there's a limit to how fast it can change and eventually you'll hit that mark with the currently technology. So I don't expect a larger display to change as fast as a 6 inch display but I would hope that it also won't take 60 secs to refresh either.

The new ipad takes more power and is heavier because of the increase resolution and screen type that they are using. The ipad2 was 1.18 lbs in weight which is pretty close to 1lb. But also remember that the ipads have larger battery due to the back lit screen. And it also uses aluminum instead of plastic or carbon fiber.
I would hope any 6" would be faster than a 9.7" DX but as 9.7" devices go the DX is fairly fast. The larger display is a factor and calculating and setting up the display to be displayed also takes time. This is why PDF is typically slower than ePub or AZW.

The iPad has a bigger battery, not just because of the backlight, but because it is trying to achieve 10 hours of battery life. The backlight is only part of the issue. Even the older non-backlit Jetbooks have a battery life less than a day with a 5" display. Neither of these will reach your stated battery life requirement. Bigger batteries are heavier. Is pretty close to 1 lb good enough for you? I thought you wanted it less than a pound.

Anyway, the point is that I believe the current makers could do a bit better but not achieve the ambitious goals you stated in your requirements. At some point we'll be there. Perhaps the long awaited flexible screen will help but they have been trying to bring that to market for a long time now.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote