View Single Post
Old 11-05-2008, 12:51 PM   #54
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
What is the battery time for the Bebook if it is turned on but not used? For the Cybook it is irritatingly short (3-4 days). I have read claims that it should be weeks for the Bebook but I might have misunderstood that.
Took it to the US recently where I read 3 and a bit books, never fully powered it down, just used the "lock" option. Only charged it once in those two weeks and that was just before getting the plane back "just in case", it was still at about 50% battery at that point too

Quote:
It sounds as if the BeBook has a very efficient "standby" system!
Seems that way

Taking it out of standby is pretty much instant, as opposed to a full shutdown/power up which takes several seconds.

I really like the Hanlin (inc variants) because of it's support for library browing via physical folders. I have all my authors organised by Genre and Author which makes it nice to find the books I want no matter how many I'll eventually have on it. No reason the Cybook can't add this feature, I've heard they're planning to, but if/when who knows.

I also really like the fb2 viewer and wish the epub, .lit and mobi viewers were as good. Usually I convert from lit/mobi to fb2 instead of using the built in viewers for those. If I were only buying mobi books, I might have chosen the Cybook instead for the currently better viewer, but as I don't mind converting to fb2, I'd rather the Hanlin viewer. Hopefully they'll get the mobi viewer up to a similar standard then there'd be no need to convert.

Both readers are good though. Any real differences between the two are pretty minor, unless you have specific requirements such as dictionary support (cybook) or physical library browsing / accurate page numbers (hanlin using fb2). For that reason I wouldn't always recommend the Cybook or Hanlin to everyone, there are times when one or the other would be the better choice, but it depends on the buyer.

Quote:
So I'm thinking that I may be better off with the BeBook as this supports .LIT but the Cybook doesn't.

Any opinions.
It supports .lit, but in my opinion you'd be better served by converting from .lit to fb2. Pretty painless to do with LitConvertor to extract to html+images then any2fb2_gui to take that and turn it into fb2. The viewer is just better imho. You could of course convert to mobi to use on the Cybook too if you wanted.

That said, the lit viewer isn't _that_ bad. You may find it's perfectly fine and skip the hassle of converting your books.

Last edited by JoeD; 11-05-2008 at 01:02 PM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote