View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #12
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
P... How many people working for an employer, for example, would be satisfied if their boss told them to do their full-time work for free, then go out and sell umbrellas with the company logo on the street for their income? Not many? Then why should an artist have to do that, just to make a living?
On the flip side, Steve, how many people working for an employer have the possibility of becoming wealthy because their work was made into a movie that became a success thereby selling more books and more movies?

I realize that the number of authors that experience this is very small, but it is infinitely larger than zero which is the chance that it could happen to people working for an employer.

Selling, which is what authors end up doing, is a hit or miss thing. You can get rich but you can also go broke.

Admittedly success in the entertainment fields is not always related to the quality of work. Sometimes it's a matter of time & place. However, being one of those people working for an employer, I knowingly gave up a possibility for potential wealth (or the opposite) for the security of a consistent pay check. (Never mind that I evaluate myself as very poor in "any" entertainment field.)

That said, I still believe (and apparently I'm vastly in the minority) that you can not lose that which you never had. I agree that it is unethical to take what is being sold without paying but he never had the money from those copies that were downloaded without paying. I could say that I had lost millions because nobody has bought a copy of my life with my employer but I would not have lost it since I never had it.

Enough of my rant.

Last edited by slayda; 05-27-2008 at 05:53 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote