View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
For me, with text-only books I don't think there's a real speed difference between reading ebooks and physical books (pbooks). This is due to a couple of factors:

- Font size: I format my ebooks with a larger font (14 point) for comfortable reading so my ebooks tend to have many more pages than do my pbooks (most of which seem to have a font size that falls in the range of 10-12 points).

- Screen size: My ereader screen is slightly smaller than the text area of a paperback book resulting in an increase in the number of pages in my ebooks.

To illustrate the above points, I took a copy of the Project Gutenberg edition of "The Adventures Of Pinocchio" that I formatted for my ebook reader. Formatted that way, it had 496 pages. I reformatted it for the size of a standard paperback page with a font size of the main body at 12 points (I didn't reduce the size of the other text, such as chapter headings and so on). That reduced the number of pages to 281 (56 percent of the original ebook), a decrease of 215 pages.

These factors reduce my reading speed with my ereader, mainly because I have to turn pages more often. However, by formatting my ebooks the way I described I find my ebooks much easier to read than my pbooks, so it is worth the tradeoff.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote