View Single Post
Old 06-22-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
That's great news. I hope all these voip services will put enough pressure on the Telecos to have them lower their fees for voice calls.
I think they must be worried sick. In the US and many other places you can get mobile long distance service that is the same rate as a local call all across the country. When I traveled in the US this spring I bought a prepaid phone for $12. It allowed me to call anywhere in the US for the same rate. By calling an 800 dialaround number I was able to call China for no extra cost. That's right! A mobile phone call to China for the cost of local air time! Skype was offering free IP-to-phone calls all across Canada and the US. Jajah is free or low cost (< 2 cents/minute) to many places around the world. If you have cable TV service you can get flat-rate long distance service too. The day of the teleco monopolies is gone

I hope it works well for you in Italy too.

Edit: I made a mistake on Jajah rates. Jajah is probably the most convenient because you talk phone-to-phone, but it is not the cheapest. It is Gizmo that has the < 2 cent a minute rates. Here are some rates per minute for the more popular VoIP companies based on a call to China from anywhere:
Jajah-3.1 Skype-2.1 Gizmo Project-1.7 Wengophone-1.4

So far, Jajah seems to have better quality than Skype. I haven't tried the others.

Last edited by mogui; 06-23-2007 at 08:21 AM.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote