View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
The real response should have been: I really hope that the Kobo developers aren't that stupid!
Why is it stupid to assume people won't go changing standard settings in hidden config files? Or that if they do they'll know that any incompatibilities are due to their own actions?

In this case it looks like changing the locale has no effect other than the desired one but I can well imagine taking advantage of some known setting for some optimization or other on the basis that you know how it was set as delivered and there's no supported way (i.e. through the menus or desktop app) to change it. Further more if and when you decide to add the ability to change that setting at a user level you'd cater for it throughout the system.

Saying that it's stupid to not cater for every random edit someone might make to a file they're not intended to change is naive at best.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote