View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #1
snookums
Connoisseur
snookums doesn't littersnookums doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
PNY 4gb sdhc card causes Kindle to crash

I'm just posting this as a warning to others. After receiving my Kindle Feb 1st, I installed a 4gb PNY sdhc card in it. I placed all 10,000 mobipocket books from the blackmask dvd in the documents folder. I wanted to see if the Kindle could handle that many eBooks or whether it would choke. It began updating the content list and got up to over 600 pages in the home screen at one point, but it always ended up crashing eventually and had to be reset.

I changed the documents folder on the memory card to something different and decided that I would move books I was interested in to the documents folder as I wished. I first noticed the problem when I plugged the usb cable into the Kindle. It showed up on the computer fine. I was able to move files between the card and the Kindle's memory, but after ejecting the disk, the Home screen didn't show books in the right order and clicking on them brought up an error message. The device would crash every time it came out of usb mode. I would remove the sd card, reset the Kindle, reboot without the card, and then add the card back. Then the files would show up fine.

I tried several things such as plugging the Kindle up to the power cord before using the cable. None of that worked. I was starting to think that the Kindle must be a shoddy device to crash every time you used the usb cable, but I considered that it also might be the sd card. I was right. I went back to the store and bought a sandisk ultra II 4gb. The device stopped crashing. Now I'm wondering if the Kindle might have been choking on the memory card and not the 10,000 ebooks. I'm going to try again when I have the time. I've also ordered an Ultra III because I realized that I could get it on Amazon for half of what staples was asking for the Ultra II.
snookums is offline   Reply With Quote