View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #49
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
So please dont use multiple calibre instances on the same dropbox share concurrently, or I am going to be dealing with a lot of reports about missing files
Well, I had missing files tonight, but I knew it was dropbox, and not Calibre, so I didn't bother you, Kovid.

I did just what everyone said not to do. I had uplifted everything to the clouds, and about 80% was downloaded, and I just couldn't resist peeking at my netbook. My laptop was shut down, as was my desktop. Apparently, the metadata file hadn't downloaded yet, and so my library showed no books. Oh well, I thought, when it is 100% done, they will be there. Well, when I got home from work, dropbox was done syncing, but my laptop still showed XXX books, and my netbook showed 0. I was about to uninstall Calibre (the only thing I could think of was to reinstall), but chaley warned me about creating a metadata file by opening calibre on my netbook. Sure enough, when I opened the dropbox file, there was a metadata file with 75 kb, and a metadata conflicted file with 4000 kb. I deleted the smaller, and renamed the larger, and I was in business! Then to the desktop. Same issue (but all other Calibre libraries were closed). I opened the dropbox file on the desktop, and saw the 75 kb metadata file, but no larger file. I went to my file in the clouds, and downloaded and saved the larger file to my desktop. It worked! So Kovid, I hope I can keep using dropbox. I promise, if I lose my books again, I won't blame Calibre. I have a noncloud copy on an SD card and a portable hard drive. I should be okay. But I like to go into Calibre from a couple different computers. It is great not to have to email the book back and forth. And I finally feel I have enough backups (SD, HD, Dropbox, laptop, netbook, desktop). Sectuple rendundncy?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote