View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #12
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I disagree. The court made a *bad* decision and this puts all "derivative" works based upon extracting information and putting it in a database form. Think of all the Prima gaming guides for games like Diablo and Warcraft.

Nope, it was a clear case of stupid greed (Rowling) and idiocy (the court) winning over justice.

Derek
I think the judge explicitly noted that the ruling should not be misunderstood as to illegalize all derivative works.

And the other link to this Untangling Tolkien guy was very insightful IMHO. As he explictly noted the courts look if the original author or current copyright holders would have been able, or would do themselves what you did, or if you created something additional with own input.

The game guide think is a tricky question that opens up to our society... I'm pretty convinced that if someone writes a gameguide to a game, where the game seller never wanted to make his own game guide himself would be allowed to so... However if the seller wants to push his own guide, he could IMHO outlaw other people guides, as infringing copyright...

Last edited by axel77; 09-09-2008 at 12:44 PM.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote