View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 07:56 AM   #27
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Here're some books from my childhood I found important enough to read aloud to my own children:

Johann Wyss - _The Swiss Family Robinson_
Hal Gordon - _Divers Down! Adventure Under Hawai'ian Seas_
Madeline L'Engle - _A Wrinkle in Time_
J.R.R. Tolkien - _The Hobbit_ and _The Lord of the Rings_ as well as _Roverandom_ and _Mr. Bliss_ --- need to find a copy of C.S. Lewis' _Boxen_

and an illustrated (and much abridged) _Children's Bible_

Currently I'm reading Rudyard Kipling's _Captains Courageous_ having just finished Geronimo's autobiography, both an interlude from reading biographies of American Presidents (we just finished Theodore Roosevelt, hence the segue into Geronimo, since TR granted permission for the writing of his autobiography) --- still need to find a good kids biography of President Taft though, then we'll continue on through President George W. Bush, pausing on the way to read some history books I remember (a book on WWI flying aces, another on the Battle of Midway, &c.) as well as books on notable others (Winston Churchill we'll probably do right after Franklin Delano Roosevelt).

Then, I'm planning on starting over again at the beginning and reading mythologies / folk heroes starting w/ Gilgamesh and working my way up to King Arthur, interspersed w/ historical personalities and inventors and artists --- guess I'll need to go through all the biography sections in the local libraries, note names and birth dates in a spreadsheet, then sort on the year of birth....

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote