Thread: Glo Cyrillic letters
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 03:04 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Cyrillic display font

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvenic View Post
I can see cyrillic letters (russian book) only using Georgia, Gothic MB101 and Ryumin font. And only Georgia font shows cyrillic text normally, Gothic and Ruymin show cyrillic text as if there is a long space between letter even within a word, it is impossible to read comfortably. All other fonts show a small rectangles, sometimes with question marks in them, instead of cyrillic letters. (The book itself is a side-loaded epub)

Does it mean that Kobo Glo does not support cyrillic texts fully? I also have Kindle Touch, which uses Caesilia font (as far as I understand), there Cyrillic texts are shown normally. But on Glo, when I select the same Caesilia font, I only see rectangles with question marks instead of cyrillic letters.
You might want to try adding another font to your Kobo that supports the Cyrillic character set. AFAIK, the Charis SIL set does and JSWolf's modified version looks good the Kobo's screen. The Charis web page shows Cyrillic U+0400..U+045F, U+0462..U+0463, U+0472..U+0475, U+048A..U+04FF and
Cyrillic Supplementary U+0500..U+0525 as supported character sets.

I've attached a .zip file of JSWolf's font files to this message. Create a directory called fonts in the root of the Kobo's internal drive and unzip the file into it. You should then be able to select the font on the drop down.
Note that the directory name is case sensitive.

P.S. Please let me know how this works for you since I don't have any books with a Cyrillic character set to test.

Regards,
David
Attached Files
File Type: zip CharisSil.zip (1.51 MB, 962 views)
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote