View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #10
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
I love the idea of being able to merge existing books within Calibre.

The way it works currently, if I import a folder with many titles, some the same but different in formats, would they merge during import or would I have to delete 1 and manually add it to the other using one of the above methods?
It works like this:

First, turn on the option in Preferences|Add that allows this function.

When Calibre processes the first book, Calibre determines the author name and title according to the settings you have given Calibre. I prefer to tell Calibre to get the author/title from the filename, but it can get them from metadata inside the book if you set it that way.

The next book is then processed. If it has the same author and a similar enough title to the first book or any other record, but is a different format, it gets added to the matching record. If title/author differ, a new record is created.

This continues book by book to the end.

(If the new option is off, it behaves as it used to behave.)

New code that I'm now completing will allow you to merge records. For example, the code above will never add two books into the same record if the author names differ by a single character. You'll get two different records for a book by Arthur C Clarke and one by Arthur Clarke, no matter how similar the titles are.

The merge code will let you put them into a single record by selecting them both and choosing merge. The author name kept is the one in the record you select first.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote