View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 07:29 AM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyor View Post
Btw. does automatic management means all changes I made are synched with my device through calibre? Or only when I delete and send my books again?
I don't have a simple answer to what is and isn't automatically synched just by connecting. First you should read the descriptions attached to the Automatic Management setting and it's alternatives.

What I can say is:
  • your Collections will be automatically synched just by connecting.
  • if you set up a Metadata Plugboard for your Sony (using the device_db:PRS505 option) then this is automatically synched. This is the title-renaming goody I referred to.
  • the cover inside an epub is not automatically synched just by connecting. This cover may possibly be updated simply by resending, but not necessarily - it depends on the particular epub. If it doesn't update you will need to do an epub-to-epub conversion to get a new cover actually inside the epub.
  • Thumbnails can be automatically synched just by connecting, but only if you check the relevant boxes in the Preferences Sony Device Interface plugin to which I referred you in my earlier post. If you check the 'Upload separate cover thumbnails...' box then Calibre will create the thumbnails on the Sony when you send-to-device the books (epub, pdf, rtf, txt, both DRM and non-DRM). You need to also check the 'Refresh separate covers...' box if you want the thumbnails to be automatically refreshed every time you connect. It's possible that this second option may be slow if you have a lot of books on the device. You would need to experiment. If you don't check either of these 2 boxes, the Sony will extract a thumbnail from the book itself when you first send each book - in my opinion, this is usually unsatisfactory.
Is this enough to be going on with?

Last edited by jackie_w; 05-20-2011 at 07:46 AM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote