View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 07:18 AM   #1
Archon
Zealot
Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Mac OSX, iPad, iPod, & Nook
Author sort for foreign or non-standard names.

Ok so here is the dilemma of the modern age:

Ursula K. Le Guin and Lester del Rey get sorted into 'Guin' and 'Rey'. (I changed the author sort to LeGuin and it is still listed in the "G's".)

Also, what about authors with three names that are not middle names and are NOT hyphenated? Lois McMaster Bujold get sorted to 'Bujold'

I know this is probably a minor issue to some and most people just hyphenate the name or compress it i.e. LeGuin or McMaster-Bujold.

However, that is technically not correct and I endeavor to be accurate and label books as the author lists their name on the book. (I still get mail that lops off my first name because some idiot somewhere decided 8 characters was enough for a first name. They also miss the second capital letter in my last name making it lower case. Mail addressed like this immediately gets trashed.)

I find inaccuracy, especially when it comes to someone's name, to be unacceptable. Dale Carnegie said "a person's name is the most beautiful sound in the world to them, and you should endeavor to pronounce their name as they pronounce it".

In the modern age LastName_FirstName is just not enough to encompass everyone. Since Calibre seems to have a fairly good world following it would seem that allowances need to be made for these non-standard names.

How does the Library sort these authors?
Is it time to update the old methods of name sorting?
With computing power as it is today why are arbitrary sizes still assigned to fields on forms we fill out?
Why_do_people_put_underscores_in_file_names_instea d_of_spaces? Do they not own a modern OS that can have up to 255 characters of any kind as a filename? Are they stuck in the 8dot3 world of DOS? Come on people this is the 21st century.

Most importantly, is there any way to drop a piece of peanut butter toast and have it land bread side down?

(I looked through the manual and searched the forums and couldn't find an answer to this vexing questions.)

OK I will shut up, sit down, and color in my book now.
Weeeeeeeeeeee it's Saturday
Archon

Last edited by Archon; 02-12-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Archon is offline   Reply With Quote