View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 03:03 PM   #42
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
If having an ebook did not COMPLETELY replace paper books, I would not even consider an ebook. Just too much money to not go 100% on it. So, that is a factor as well I need to consider. Could I live without ever buying a paperback again? Might mean missing some really good books.

I dunno. May have to skip the whole ebook thing afterall now that I mull that over...
Do you have anyone who could buy you an ebook device as a present? That'll get rid of the guilt

My system for buying works like this. I check for the ebook first. If it's not available (or it's overpriced, not often), I check the library. If the library doesn't have it, then I get the pbook. Since i'm in PA, I can go to any library with an access card, so I go to the really good library 20 miles away. With this method, I've only bought maybe 10 pbooks in the past year (and a few of those were because I had a bookstore gift certificate). And I only do it this way for convenience. I'd much much rather read an ebook than a pbook.

If you are thinking about a Kindle, and need to offset the costs, you can do two things (among others, of course), to earn amazon gift certificates. One is if you have a coinstar machine nearby (like in a grocery store), they'll waive the coin counting fee if you choose the option of getting an amazon gift certificate. And then start picking change up off the ground

Also, I use a search engine that gives me "bucks" for using their search engine, and those bucks can be used to buy gift certificates. I've been using them for months and they don't spam, and send the gift certificates in a very timely manner. If you used their engine every day, you could earn a $5 gift certificate in two weeks. It's not a lot, but it helps and it's easy. Here's the link:
http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=121492
*disclaimer* Yes, I get credit for referrals. You are more than welcome to just go to the main site if you don't want me to get credit. I use the credits for Starbucks gift certificates
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote