View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 07:42 AM   #41
ArgonZ
ArgonZ began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Yet Another Review

Hi everyone,

This is my first post in MR, but I've been lurking for some time. I've been undecided about e-ink for a while, and been unwilling to pay €350-€400 (Cybook) to sample it. So when the V3 got a reseller in Europe with a price I thought fair, I just couldn't resist it any longer and order one from ApolloXXI.

I've been using my reader for two weeks now, and I joined the crowd that just loves the e-ink displays. It's really worth the money I spent, even if it's a bit pricey "just" to read books.

I've seen the reviews from other users, so I'll add mine to the lot. I have decided to use FB2, and I was quite pleased by the look and organization of the document. Chapters, and pages work quite well, and the graphical display of where we are in the chapter/book is just wonderful. The use of the recent files is also quite nice and simply works, the ability to navigate on the SD folder tree is in my opinion an essential feature.

There are a few things I dislike, like the provided cover, I don't know about the rest of you, but mine just smells and it just doesn't feel like real leather. I also doubt that it will keep the reader secure. It will have to do for now since there isn't any to replace it, but I hope there will be some better replacement in the near future.

Also, I've been experiencing some reboots while reading the FB2 ebooks, every few hundred page turns the device freezes with the green led on and after a while the systems reboots. I haven’t been able to reproduce the bug, but it happens from time to time. It does not render the device useless but it's annoying and I hope it will be corrected on a future update.

As for the advertised format support, I've tested PDF, CHM, RTP, JPG and Rar and they all worked. Although I believe that the image rendering engine should also be upgraded, since it does not do a great job even with B&W images. PDF and CHM were quite a nice surprise, it will do for a quick reference manual but not to read a novel.

Overall I'm quite satisfied with my new "gadget" and I would buy it again even knowing that it has a few problems.
ArgonZ is offline   Reply With Quote