View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 05:00 AM   #14
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Suppliers Apple has sued could well simply provide Apple with the letter of their contracts, nothing more, nothing less. If Apple keeps suing the very companies who provide hardware or software for their Apple branded devices I expect Apple's component costs to increase. Other than being generally pissed at Apple a supplier like Samsung could easily justify such moves as needed to simply cover any current AND future losses due to such "settlements". Maybe they are right or wrong, doesn't really matter as it is actually funny to follow.

As I recall did Apple not make some similar sort of power play back in the mid-to-late 80s which sort of backfired on them over the long term when business users went all-in with MS? I just do not recall the exact circumstance but it seems there was something. And no I am not thinking of the whole "browser war" matter that was different. I know there was the whole GUI thing as well, maybe it was that I am thinking of? But the GUI/mouse thing was in the 90s wasn't it?

Anyway, this seems like it might all blow up in Apple's face if supplies who also make components begin adding an "Apple Tax" to bids leaving Apple to either chose from lesser suppliers or paying the higher costs while competitors making other branded devices enjoy lower component costs simply because they aren't trying to sue everyone under the sun. Heck maybe Apple can find a way to sue Sun somehow (OK sue Oracle since they own what was once Sun MS).

Of course there is a rule that if one does not want too many customers you keep increasing rates/prices until you reach that eutectic point so you keep profits high but have lower support overhead. Basically it's the reverse of mass produced make-it-up in volume approach. Price high to earn the same amount of profit with less headache of too many customers. Plus I found customers who are willing to pay more tend to be more rational when issues arrise. Lower tier customers are very often the highest overhead. So maybe Apple flat does not care if they must increase prices, their customer base is the sort who will just keep adding zeros to the check as long as that logo is on the device. And then MS can, once again have the business world almost completely to themselves...

I don't know, it is all just very weird to watch. Like watching a shark feeding on it's own entrails I suppose.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote