View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 10:48 PM   #407
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
That does not rebut the argument that their state is indeterminate until observed.

Consciousness is fundamental to Quantum theory and it's explanation of how reality works., and it is Lanza's position that this truth has been neglected.
Consciousness being fundamental to quantum theory is one interpretation. There are other interpretations that don't require consciousness. This is a relatively busy area of quantum physics research over the last couple of decades. I am no expert in this area, but it seems that there is some move to removing observation as a necessity for measurement. It may just require another interaction to determine a "measurement".

To me, the argument that the state is indeterminate until observed sounds just like "Is the fridge light on when the door is closed?", or "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a noise?". You can always argue that something else could be happening when we're not looking because you can't prove that it's not, but there doesn't seem to be any justification for it. You would have to prove to me what is so special about our consciousness that the rest of the world can only wait for its attention.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote