Thread: Scary readers
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #34
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
10 books a day, at 275 pages average makes 2.750 pages of reading per day. It's about twice the size of my hard cover Lord of the Rings, including appendices.

Ask some random dude in the street:

"Have you read Lord of the Rings?" The answer could easily be "Yes". If you then ask: "Have you read it twice?", then the answer could still be "Yes".

Then ask: "Can you read that book, including appendices, twice in one day?"

Be honest. You'd get laughed at... at the very least.

And you call yourself "below average"? Nah.

Someone telling me that it's "normal" to be able to do that, would be akin to someone at a local chess club stating: "You know, if I'd study chess a bit harder, then I could attain a 2750 ELO rating." Dude... if that's true only partly, you wouldn't be playing in this club.

You'd be a world class star, maybe even busy taking a shot at the next world championship.

Some things are just too fantastic to be believable, even if they could be true for "normal" people. It could be that this chess player is (was) a veeeery lazy prodigy or something, who decided to become a postman or something....
Well if someone said to me that they could read Lord of the Rings twice in one day including the appendices, I would be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt. I can't think why anyone would want to read Lord of the Rings twice in one day or even twice at all including the appendices, unless there was a substantial reward involved. But saying you could and saying you did and or do this on a regular basis are two different things.

I do know that some people read much faster than I do. There are those that do read more than 3 books a day. I can read in the right circumstances, more than three books a day, even 400 page range and have on occasion, and my reading speed is average. I have been in the hospital and done nothing but read eat and sleep and read the 10 books I brought with me in a couple of days and had to beg for some more from the nurses.

Lots of people do lots of things much faster than I do and many do these things much better, I don't view them as abnormal or veeeery lazy any more than I view people who may be slower as abnormal. I am ok with what I have and what I can do and hope that others are the same.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote