View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 12:28 AM   #8
jttraverse
Enthusiast
jttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it is

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
While playing around with the line-height and font-size I ran my test file through the newest version of Cool Reader (cr3.0.45-15.apk). It fixed many of my complaints. See what you think. Here is the link:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cre...r3/cr3-3.0.45/

Regards - John
I downloaded CoolReader3 from your link and installed it on my HTC Evo for testing. Then I copied over my book and opened it in CoolReader to test it out. These are some of the..eh, issues, I guess you'd call them..that I see. I did check the settings and options to see if I could enable/fix them..but didn't see anything that would do it so far:
a) None of the links in my book work (i.e. internal hyperlinks that jump to illustrations, documents, etc. These do work in other reader apps, such as FBReader, Moon+Reader, Aldiko, Laputa.
b) The TOC is truncated (it's missing over half of what should be there, including the links to every chapter and a number of other items). I checked this with FBReader and Moon+Reader and both show all the items in the TOC.ncx. Strangely, navigating thru the book, Chapter 1 should be after the Prologue. But only 'Prologue' shows up in the TOC...and when I go to the prologue and page forward, where it should go to the next page and be on Chapter 1...instead it skips to the next item in the TOC, bypassing virtually the entire book since all the chapters don't show up in the TOC. Weird..!!

Anyway, I didn't go further with CoolReader since these above didn't work, and I didn't load it on my Nook either since I would have expected it to function best on my cell phone, however it's supposed to function.

So far, FBReader has been the best for image viewing and other niceties, even though it doesn't yet show the CSS styles throughout the book. Aldiko is perfect for displaying the book the way I designed it, but does not have the image handling capability of FBReader (long-press opens pics in the full screen image viewer). If I could find a program that correctly displayed the CSS styles like Aldiko, and let me double-tap or long-press on an image to open it in full screen mode, like FBReader...ah, nirvana!! Better yet, what I wish developers would do is let readers tap/press on an image and open outside the book in in an image viewer that would allow for pinch-to-zoom to enlarge the hi-res picture. That's the holy grail for what I'd like for image in my book. Ah well, someday.
-JTT
jttraverse is offline   Reply With Quote