View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 01:49 AM   #1
jttraverse
Enthusiast
jttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it is

Device: none
eReader apps that do use embedded CSS 'stylesheets'

Hello all,
I've been formatting an ePub book that uses a CSS stylesheet for formatting and layout. The things displays perfectly when I check it on my laptop or desktop in ADE, Calibre, etc. (and Sigil reports no problems when the epub is validated). I also have a color Nook I purchased to test books on (fwiw, it's rooted so I can load the hacked Honeycomb preview or even install the original v1.1, or 1.2.)

What I'm curious about is: What ereader apps are out there that do read the CSS stylesheet and correctly display ebooks as the publisher/designer made them?

I've used Laputa, Cool Reader, Moon Reader and a couple of others (ones that would load and run on the hacked Honeycomb/Nook combo; not all apps do yet)...but not one of them reads the stylesheet and displays the book accordingly. I have an HTC Evo that has Laputa and Aldiko on it, and Aldiko -does- read and display using the stylesheet, but Laputa still does not.
So, I'm presuming at this point that Laputa and most others simply ignore CSS formatting in epub books (which might explain why some publishers are simply using a graphic image when they want to display a nice bit of text or formatting). Unfortunately, Aldiko won't yet run on my Nook (though I haven't tried it with the current Nook v1.2 software) or I'd stick with Aldiko as the best so far.

So that's the problem, can anyone suggest other ePub reader apps that will see and use embedded CSS stylesheets--when running on an Android tablet.
Thanks,
JTT
jttraverse is offline   Reply With Quote