View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 05:39 AM   #1
Hanselda
Enthusiast
Hanselda began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook, Sony PRS 600
How to include a pdf crop plugin.

Hello all,

I have made several python scipts for my Cybook G3 device to deal with PDF format. I think I have done quite a lot of experimentations so that I would like to contribute my experience as several plugins.

The difficulty is that what I want to do does not quite fit into the design philosophy of the calibre that ANTHING -> HTML -> ANTHING ELSE. I would like to include the following:

1. Crop the pdf document margins to fit better to the reading device.

2. Split multi-column pdf document.

3. Convert PDF pages into images and compile the images again into a PDF file. This is due to the limited implementation of PDF format on many reading devices. If the PDF file contaims too many complicated designs the reading device would crash. However one can always "render" the PDF on the computer as images and make the PDF pages readable.

4. Convert Djvu into PDF. Basically the pages in Djvu format can also be treated as images, and compile again as pdf.

All of these conversions does not and should avoid the conversion to HTML in between. Basically I have already make several python scripts to do all those job. Could anyone give me some directions how could I start?

Thanks!
Hanselda is offline   Reply With Quote