View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #114
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Well, actually...
Yes, they do something very similar.
They set up a company called 'Amazon Europe Holding Technologies', as a type of Luxembourg company that is free from taxes.
I wasn't aware Amazon did the same, although I'm not really surprised by it.

I think those kind of setups need investigating and laws adjusted depending on whether the practice should be allowed or not.

Either way, the news reports linked in the original post still seem to be distorting the facts. By discussing and highlighting VAT as though amazon are charging 20% and only paying 3% which isn't the case. They charge their customers 3% and pay 3% (well did) and I don't see how that makes Amazon/any other company immoral as another poster stated.

It would have been more interesting and accurate had they reported what you've said for company setup and how companies are using it to pay their taxes in countries with the lowest tax rate. That would likely have been a more boring headline and discussion though