View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 03:32 AM   #13
NuMor
NuMor began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
One more point:

Alternatively you can create a paragraph style and specify what that paragraph style should look like. You can also indicate that the following paragraph should always be on the same page as this one and be of the proper following paragraph style. Then whenever you add text and indicate that it is a paragraph of that section heading style, MS Word will automatically ensure that the section titles stay with their associated text, and when you change what the style looks like the entire document is automatically updated in one fell swoop... also, once you've typed your section title and press enter it'll automatically assign the proper paragraph style for your next paragraph!

This later way of working (the correct way) is what I'm recommending that you do with your ebook.
Thanks again twowheels. This is very helpful.

It must be said, on Calibre's behalf, that my original conversions -from HTML to MOBI - do not look that bad. They are just a bit off...

Text paragraphs and dialogue lines are actually OK, for most part. Chapters are well defined - sometimes too well, with one extra blank page between them which did not exist on the HTML doc.

My sole concerns, at first look, were: wrong font - which, although it came as a shock that not all fonts I take for granted in a pc are available in Kindle, is a problem now sorted - and blank paragraphs - for the lack of better description, these are the spaces left blank at the beginning of a novel (i.e. one page may have only one sentence, the title, another just a paragraph of credits) and in between blocks of text, to represent changes in scenery, dialogue or time of occurrence - which are mostly not respected.

I'll have to "see" the stories I would like to convert in one of the standard fonts accepted by Kindle, type it in that font into HTML and then convert the HTML doc into MOBI, trying to make sure the paragraphs are well marked and defined in advance.

It is going to take a bit of work to get he first one right, but I hope the next ones will become easier.

NuMor is offline   Reply With Quote