View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 02:30 AM   #10
NuMor
NuMor began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
In my opinion you'd be best served by considering the content over the presentation since the presentation will change from device to device and format to format. Focus instead of ensuring that you've properly specified where the paragraphs end (using the HTML <p></p> tags mentioned already), where the chapters start, where the subsection breaks are, etc.

(...)

Once you've done all of that you can export to MOBI and give up all further control (MOBI doesn't give a lot of control of final presentation to the creator), and then provide your preferred presentation for EPUB readers by embedding a font and providing some CSS for default margins, spacing, etc, but realize that the reader will still be able to override the presentation by changing the font size, margins, line spacing, as well as viewing it on different screen sizes (3.5" phones, 6" eink readers, 10" tablets, and computer screens of all sizes) so you really don't have the final say on how it looks even if you think that you do.
Thanks for this twowheels. I am coming straight from paper books and their close link to text presentation - one not only reads text, one also has to look at it and therefore it must look good.

I realise now I will have to forego a bit of control at this level, and understand also that, in e-books, the author cannot really control anything – apart from content.

I’ll have a go at Sigil to see where that takes me.

Thanks again!
NuMor is offline   Reply With Quote