View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 02:07 AM   #8
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuMor View Post
Thanks dwig.

Would you happen to know what are the standard fonts built into all kindles? This would help setting the text to the page. Thanks again.
In my opinion you'd be best served by considering the content over the presentation since the presentation will change from device to device and format to format. Focus instead of ensuring that you've properly specified where the paragraphs end (using the HTML <p></p> tags mentioned already), where the chapters start, where the subsection breaks are, etc.

In my line of work we write a lot of technical documents and I constantly have to remind people to separate content from its presentation because presentation can change. If a document is properly marked up with what a chunk of text represents and how it should behave, rather than what it should look like, it makes it MUCH easier to handle differing presentations later (such as MS Word documents, PDF files, web pages, online help, etc)

Once you've done all of that you can export to MOBI and give up all further control (MOBI doesn't give a lot of control of final presentation to the creator), and then provide your preferred presentation for EPUB readers by embedding a font and providing some CSS for default margins, spacing, etc, but realize that the reader will still be able to override the presentation by changing the font size, margins, line spacing, as well as viewing it on different screen sizes (3.5" phones, 6" eink readers, 10" tablets, and computer screens of all sizes) so you really don't have the final say on how it looks even if you think that you do.

That said...

I'm surprised nobody has suggested this yet, but have you tried importing the text into Sigil and cleaning it up there and then re-exporting it?

Edit: oops... there was a Sigil recommendation. :-)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote