View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #51
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I don't remember my Atari model number. I got it in 1986, I think. It was nice! There was nothing wrong with it, when I switched to a windows box. I eventually gave it away...should have kept it.
Maybe you remember what it looks like?

http://www.mr-atari.com/homecomputers.htm

My first was a 400. It was $149.99 at Zayre's Department Store. I remember the price because it came with a $50 mail in rebate and I remember thinking, "Who can't affort a $100 computer?"

Before too long I replaced it with an 800xl then a 130xe. I had the xe until 1989 when I bought a 286 for school.

I still have a half dozen Ataris -- and they all work. Apparently they were designed before MTBF was invented. I can read floppies that were written a generation ago! And the games on them are still great.

I don't do that often, though, because some clever people continue to develop hardware and software for this platform, so I can flash games onto a cart myself or play them off an SD card reader.

Despite my affection for these, I have five desktops, five laptops, four Fires, and a Kindle. 99% of my computer use is at my desktop.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote