View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 03:23 AM   #8
lorken
Enthusiast
lorken doesn't litterlorken doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox
Thumbs down My Vox reset itself too!

Awww, CRAP. Mine just did the same thing this week! Spontaneously reset itself to factory settings.

I received it in December as a Christmas gift, and after a lot of reading on this board and others I finally got it loaded with just the apps I wanted (not too many, but enough to make it interesting). Had a few different readers, had a file manager, had some scheduling apps, some games, etc. I used it almost every day to read, do crosswords, or play sudoku. I also used a list app to make a lot of lists and to jot down a lot of quick notes on various things.

It was working just fine until thursday (May 10). It worked fine that afternoon, but in the evening when I turned it on it gave me the message saying something went wrong with the startup process and Kobo was now going to reset itself to the factory settings. Despite my horrified cry of "NOOOOOOO!!" it went ahead and did just that. I was so upset I just turned it off and didn't touch it until 3 days later.

Today I finally mustered up the courage to turn it on and go through the "new out of the box" startup process and yup, everything I had is GONE. I'm both upset and PO'd. Not only did I lose my apps, but I lost a lot of notes! (And the startup process was glitchy now too, it took 6 tries to complete. That didn't happen when I first did it in December.)

Right now I don't even have the heart to try to remember which apps I had loaded on it, let alone go hunt them down and rebuild the d*mn thing. I don't even really want to look at it.

I guess I need some time to mourn its death. Then maybe I'll try to rebuild it.

But I'll never trust it again.

PS I'm going to search the other threads for the answer to this, but maybe someone who knows can post it here more quickly: Once I get my apps re-downloaded and re-installed, will any of my old data for them (eg. my notes or lists) show up? (please please please?)
lorken is offline   Reply With Quote